Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Beginnings...The Cairn de Barnenez

Maybe not every person finds Greek and Roman architecture as incredible as I find it to be. Also, Western Civilization may not be very interesting for most, and some even hated having to take that class in college, therefore I will not attempt to teach it. Instead I will simply provide a few examples of the most influential designs and buildings from the past, and explain a few things that make them unique. Here is the first.

The Cairn de Barnenez:


This structure is perhaps one of the earliest in the history of human kind. It dates back to around 4,000 and 3,500 B.C. during the time that is now know as the Neolithic era. To put it in perspective, that is around the time when humans had just begun to farm and was no longer nomadic. This structure is believed to be tomb and was cleverly constructed using flat and rounded stones. In my opinion it is amazing how humans, even when there was no writing system, language or identified math, were able to construct a structure so well that even 6,000 years later is still visible and standing. What do you think? 


1 comment:

  1. Well you have an audience in me, as I am also fascinated by these architectural wonders. I was in Wales about a decade ago and I remember touring a Norman castle in Cardiff; under the castle was a remnant of Roman Wall. I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that there was about 2,000-year-old wall down there. Also seeing how humans change their habitats through construction--it's just such a powerful statement to the will of humankind, right?

    I think you can draw in more readers if you start off with some comparison or contrast with modern structures. That will allow classmates to understand use, or scale, or even similar design elements or materials.

    I am excited to see what comes next...

    ReplyDelete